Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Do you recognise this man?

I was highly emotional when Joni Scanlon returned to the office after her interview with the protagonist of the article entitled Silent Salvation. Joni is planning on nominating Canberra's own Alan Jessop for Australian Senior of the Year.


By Joni Scanlon

The first time I met the Salvation Army officer he gave me a quick smile as I dropped some money in his collection box. After that I would always see him around the Canberra Centre, and I started to pay attention to him – the old stool he was often propped up against, his hat that seemed just a bit too big and that face seemed to show he was a man with a story to tell.

When I suggested the idea of featuring him in Spring in the City, it was greeted with plenty of enthusiasm and recognition. It seemed that everyone had seen him at one point or another and I began to appreciate that this story could really be a good one.

When I approached him soon after and told him that I would like to feature him in a magazine he didn’t seem fazed at all and quietly gave me his name, Alan Jessop, and number.

Our photographer Rohan Thomson went with me to the centre for the interview and I was surprised to see how much more lively and enthusiastic Alan was. We got to talking and I quickly realised I had quite a character on my hands. We soon got to talking about the Salvation Army and how he had came to be the face of the Salvation Army in the city – when Alan moved to town they needed a collector and so he volunteered; 22 years later he continues to collect and the city has transformed before his very eyes.


He spoke with such passion about his work and about the need for volunteers. Then he casually announced that his wife would like him to cut down on his shifts since he had two heart attacks and was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I was floored – I couldn’t believe that this 80-year-old who has battled through such health problems continued to start work before 7am three days a week and spend hours of his time collecting, and only missed a few days throughout this all for important medical appointments. Most others would have felt justified in taking some time off to heal and take care of themselves, yet he is so selfless I truly believe the thought never crossed his mind.

I also discovered why he had been so quite when I first asked for the interview; he confessed, with a wide grin, that fatigue is a side effects of his medication and he sometimes has a quick nap on his stool.

After thanking him for speaking to me and letting Rohan work his magic, I left with a feeling of euphoria and disbelief. I was euphoric because Alan showed the kindness, generosity and strength we are all capable off, yet I couldn’t believe how much he had given of himself to his charity – he truly is a remarkable human being and, luckily for me, has an amazing story to tell.

Read the story on Monday, August 30 when the In the City magazine appears in The Canberra Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment